Lakeside Race report 1st and 2nd April 2017

Race report by Bruce Acheson

After some of the heaviest rain in Queensland for several years, the weekend of racing at Lakeside Park was certainly at risk, despite the forecast for fine weather on Saturday and Sunday.
On Thursday, photos of the track under water were being distributed, further adding to the gloom.

pic: Matthew Paul Photography
pic: Matthew Paul Photography

Surprisingly, the sun appeared on Friday and practice went ahead, almost as normal.

Saturday was fine as predicted and racing got under way with a few less competitors than we had hoped for. Several interstate drivers decided not to risk the weather forecast and went to Wakefield Park instead. With most drivers around two seconds slower than last year in qualifying, Curtis Porter surprised everyone with a 62.5 to take pole with Paul Kellaway half a second behind and Greg Wood another half second slower.

Race one was the subject of a re-start after an accident on the first lap ended Brendan Gorman’s weekend. He was unhurt but the car was badly damaged. The second attempt saw the ten lap race end without further incident and an exciting finish, with the first two cars across the line separated by one tenth of a second. First place Curtis Porter. Second, Greg Wood. Third, Paul Kellaway.

Race two was incident free with most competitors getting their lap times within a second of their previous best. Paul Kellaway was back at his usual spot at the front, however he was being closely followed by Curtis, who finished one hundredth of a second behind. Greg Wood was third.
Unfortunately there were DNFs for Gary Hook and Ted Sibley.

Sunday was fine and cloudy with no sign of the recent rain. After a couple of compliance checks, racing was under way, with another ten-lapper. In race three there way two DNFs, this time it was Ken Filbey and Paul Kellaway. The finishing order saw Eddie McFaul move up to third and Alex Hedemann to fourth. As in all previous races, there was some close racing in the mid-field between Scott Andrew, Adam White, David Hedemann and Wayne Hamilton. The first three across the line were Curtis Porter, Greg Wood and Eddie Mc Faul.

The twelve lap final saw Ted Sibley still struggling with a misfire, the mid-field swapping positions regularly and a great drive from Paul Kellaway, starting last and finishing third. There was an incident on lap six, in which the cars of Eddie McFaul and Ken Filbey collided at ‘Hungry Corner’, tangling wheels and heading into the shrubbery, resulting in two more DNFs.
Curtis Porter won race four as well as top points (116) for the weekend. Greg Wood was second, likewise in Club Points (99) while Paul Kellaway was third on both counts. Alex Hedemann had a good weekend with fourth overall.

Many thanks to Ken Taylor for volunteering to do the DSO’s job on both days and a big thank you to our interstate visitors for making the trip north.